The following routine is recommended to end the night.
- Right-click in the background to get the pull-down menu
- Select "NIRSPEC Control Menu" --> "*End of Night Shutdown*"
This will do the following:
- Close the hatch
- Insert the BLANK filter
- Kill all NIRSPEC GUIs
- Shutdown and restart the NIRSPEC server
If the End of night shutdown fails for any reason, try
running "NIRSPEC Control Menu" --> "Kill GUIs Restart
- Select "File" --> "Exit" from the ObserverUI
- Kill any FACSUM or XMET tools you have up by holding the
Right Mouse button in the window's titlebar and selecting "Close"
Some observers prefer to write one backup, others like to
backup each night.
Please log into another machine (not the one you used to run
NIRSPEC) as nirspec to run a DVD backup.
To start a DVD backup:
- Select "Instrument Utilities" --> "Autobackup (CD/DVD)"
from the pull-down menu
- Select your observation night(s)
- Edit the text fields (up to 4 lines)
- Click "Write Data"
- If the autoloader is available, this will take 30
minutes to 2 hours to get your disks
Log out of the machine from which you ran NIRSPEC via the
pull-down menu: "Exit FVWM".