- General: DEIMOS is working well and reliably overall.
- Slitmasks: Lick techs serviced slitmask system in
February and redesigned masks to eliminate mask
insertion failures. Still seeing buckled masks on occasion,
- Gratings: The grating tilt stage known as
slider 4 was mechanically modified by CARA to allow zeroth
order imaging and thus faster slitmask setups.
- Filters: Filter weights are not equal and thus the
filter wheel is unbalanced in certain configurations. A
software fix has been applied and we're investigating a
- Flexure compensation system (FCS): Interface
completely rewritten with great new GUI that simplifies
operation and provides better feedback. New electronics
allow lamps to turn off when FCS is not exposing, reducing
scattered light contamination by 90%.
- Rotator: Control software upgraded to verify DCS demands
and prevent illegal moves.
- DEIMOS finder charts: An awesome Python script
donated by observer Dan Magee (Lick) will generate guider
finding charts for all of an observer's slitmasks.
- DEIMOS slitmask maps: A new IRAF script will plot
the observers' slitmask designs without need for the Lick
MONGO plotting package.
- Slitmask calibration tool: This GUI allows
observers to start a sequence of arcs and flats with
selectable arc lamps, exposure times, and numbers of
- Slitmask imaging script: The convenient new script
image_user_masks acquires direct images of all the
observer's slitmasks lickety-split.
- DEEP2 pipeline: UCB released a new public version
of their spectral reduction pipeline in early May.
- SA training: Grant Hill, Paola Amico, Hien Tran, and
Bob Goodrich all took part in recent Team Keck observing with
- Observing prep checklist: A checklist is posted
on the website instructing observers in how to prepare for
their DEIMOS run.
Top 10 Task List
- [Wirth] Create observer instrument configuration form
- [Dahl/Wirth] Fix SKY rotator time-to-limit algorithm
- [Wirth] Modify startup scripts to support remote eavesdropping
- [Wirth] Provide convenient focus acquisition/analysis
- [Wirth] Train summit staff in DEIMOS reconfiguration
- [Wirth] Write user manual
- [Wirth] Update troubleshooting pages
- [Mason/Lewis] Install ultrasonic cleaner for DEIMOS/LRIS masks
- [Mason/Wirth] Coordinate transition of slitmask milling to Waimea
- [Mason/Wirth] Review preventive maintenance plan
Gregory D. Wirth